Over at Chess Media Group we’ve brainstorming steps that companies and consultancies need to take together in order to really be able to create a social business. We’ve developed what we consider to be a pretty solid social business process that is broken down into three key areas: strategy, creativity, and results. The steps we have outline are obviously not set in stone but they should serve as a good foundation or framework for most organizations. Here is what we developed:
I’ve broken down all of the ten steps into high level bullet points to make them easy to understand. Of course this process is adaptable and will most likely continue to change as we move forward with more companies adopting social business tools and strategies. For now, this should serve as a basic foundation or framework for companies that want to get involved in social business by working with Chess Media Group.
- Review and analyze marketing business plan (when needed)
- Interview employees to understand perceived risks, challenges, and opportunities
- Analyze existing social media presence and activity
- Understand how business functions and operates internally and externally
Audit and analyze existing data and analytics
- Look at what analytics tools are currently being used and analyze what we need and want to collect.
- Examine business intelligence data and customer information
Define financial (ROI) and non-financial (impact) business objectives and metrics
- Define objectives that are going to impact the bottom line and what metrics are going to be used to determine success
- Define objectives that are not going to impact the bottom line (but that will impact the business) and what metrics are going to be used to determine success.
Identify business and technology barriers and opportunities
- Identify business and technology barriers that keep the company from moving forward with social business strategy implementation
- Identify social business opportunities from a corporate business and technology standpoint
Develop business and technology solutions
- Develop business and technology solutions to capture opportunities and overcome barriers
Map and integrate solutions into business functions
- Integrate various social business strategies into various business functions and departments such as marketing, PR, and customer service
- Develop customized approach and process for each department that enables them to work together
Monitor process and analyze new data
- Examine implementation process to make sure everything is going smoothly on business and technology side
- Look at new data collected from internal business units and external facing initiatives and conversations
Calculate ROI and impact
- Compare new data to old data collected at beginning of process
- No time line attached to process so we look at ROI and impact on a quarterly basis but you should start seeing things move in the right direction
- Comprehensive report analyzing and reviewing all work done up to this point
- Explores future ideas and strategies and provides guidance and recommendations
Adapt and revise
- Adapt work that has been done and try to improve
- Integrate new tools, strategies, ideas, and software solutions
So there you have you, our full social business process broken down and explained. Would love to hear your ideas and comments.