With new modern technologies and the knowledge that we have in order to lead more healthy lives, we are living longer than ever. So what does that mean for the way we live and work? For decades we have lived out our lives in three main stages– full time education, full time work, and full time retirement. But in a 100-year life, that structure is no longer effective.
This week my guest is Lynda Gratton, Professor of Management Practice at London Business School and bestselling author of The New Long Life.
As Lynda shared with me:
“At any point in time, you could follow a number of different paths. And I think that’s a mindset shift, really. The idea that at any point in time you could plan to be something different. That’s the first action. So let your imagination go in terms of thinking about “what could I be?”
In this episode of the podcast we explore:
- Why Lynda wrote her book, The New Long Life: A Framework for Flourishing in a Changing World.
- If life stages are no longer in a linear path, what does it look like?
- A look at the three fundamental principles Lynda uses in her MBA class to help students understand and navigate the challenges ahead.
- Why we all need more personal agency and responsibility over our careers.
- Lynda’s advice on how we can prepare for the new world of work today.
If you want more content like this you can subscribe to my Youtube channel.
15 Top CEOs Share Their Best Leadership Lessons
Learn from the CEOs of Netflix, Honeywell, Volvo, Best Buy, The Home Depot, and others.
Get the PDF→
If you enjoyed the article and want more content like this here’s what you can do:
- Subscribe to The Future of Work Podcast where I interview business leaders around the world each week.
- Grab a copy of The Future Leader which has been endorsed by the CEOs of MasterCard, Best Buy, Oracle, Audi, Unilever, Domino’s Pizza, Ritz Carlton, Kaiser, and Marshall Goldsmith. It explores the most essential skills and mindsets for future leaders.
- If you are or want to be an entrepreneur then my wife and I just launched a brand new podcast on how to Be Your Own Boss, called the BYOB Podcast where we share what we did and how we did it. You can subscribe to that here.