Feeling stuck in your career? You’re not alone.
It’s common to go through periods of feeling stuck at work and like you aren’t moving forward.
When that happens, try these six strategies to unstick yourself and move forward:
- Ask why. It’s easy to say you’re stuck, but it’s harder to realize why. What about your current situation makes you feel stuck? Do you want more freedom? More responsibility? More pay? If you don’t know why you feel stuck, it’s hard to get unstuck.
- Focus on the people you work with and less on the brand name. It can be tempting to chase after working for the company with the biggest name or most clout. But what matters more than the salary or brand name is the people who work with and work for. Those are the people who will act as your mentors and coaches and unlock your potential.
- Consider making a lateral or backwards move. Sometimes you have to move sideways or backwards so you can then move forward. Be open to moves you can make that will give you a clearer path forward, such as joining a new team or taking a more junior role to learn new things. These non-traditional moves could set you up for something greater.
- Have an honest conversation with your leader. If you don’t express that you feel stuck, no one will know. Explain your feelings to your leader and work together to find new opportunities or changes that can help you feel unstuck.
- Take a step back. When you feel stuck, it’s likely because you haven’t defined where you want to go. Think about where you want to be personally and professionally, and then map backward to reach those goals. It’s hard to move in the right direction if you don’t know where you want to go.
- When all else fails, consider quitting. If you’ve tried the first five strategies and still feel stuck, maybe quitting is a good option. You may need to switch to an organization more aligned with your goals and values. The worst thing you can do is be complacent. Don’t be afraid to take action.
Feeling stuck in your career can be unsettling, but these strategies can help you define your goals and move forward.
I put together a video which talks about this in more detail. Please check it out below and if you want more content like this you can subscribe to my Youtube channel.
. . .
This episode is sponsored by Namely
Working in HR isn’t for the faint of heart. But whether you have 50 or 1,000 employees, Namely is the HR solution that supports you and your employees. With onboarding, performance management, payroll, and intuitive benefits enrollment – all in one connected modern platform. Grow with Namely, and get one free month when you make the switch! Learn more by going to Namely.com/fow today.