We’re taught from an early age to seek the approval of others, including our parents, teachers, and other authority figures.
But being a successful entrepreneur means taking risks and not seeking permission or validation from other people. It requires a mindset shift to have the confidence to make your own decisions.
Blake and I made a video about this which you can see below. If you want more content like this then make sure to subscribe to the Be Your Own Boss Podcast Youtube Channel where Blake and I teach you how you can be your own boss.
Finding success as an entrepreneur means forging your own path and not worrying about what other people think. Here are four tips to stop seeking the approval of others:
- Have someone you can call who is completely objective. Most people in your life will try to interject their opinions into your decisions based on what’s best for them. Instead, talk to someone who has no investment in your decision either way and who can give you honest and clear feedback.
- Sit with your feelings of neediness. When we’re making decisions, it’s natural to want to talk to people and get their approval. Instead, take time to sit with your feelings of fear and vulnerability. Go for a walk, meditate, journal, and just be with yourself to be comfortable with your feelings.
- Set boundaries. We all have friends and family members who want to know every detail of our lives. Set healthy boundaries so you’re not sharing everything for them to judge. Change the subject, leave the room, or spend time with other people who are less judgmental or nosy.
- Practice empathy. When you seek approval from others, they aren’t viewing things from the same lens that you are. They might not understand your path as an entrepreneur if they’ve only worked full-time jobs. Have empathy that their experiences are different from yours when they give feedback and advice. Put everything in context to see where they are coming from.
When you stop seeking the approval of other people, you can be free to be yourself and make your own life and career decisions. That freedom can help you be happier and more energetic, which benefits your business and everyone around you.
We frequently get asked things like: What do we use for courses and email marketing? What platform do we use to find people to join our team? What tools do we use for project and task management? Where do we host and publish podcasts and how do we transcribe them? And More. Well, we just put together the Entrepreneurs’ Online Business Toolkit PDF which will give you a complete breakdown of the tools we sue to run our 7-figure businesses and how we use them. Click here to grab a copy, it will be an invaluable resource in your entrepreneurial journey!
If you enjoyed the article and want more content like this here’s what you can do:
- Subscribe to The BYOB Podcast Newsletter to get notified when a new episode comes out (once a week).
- Subscribe to our Youtube channel where we talk about these things in much more detail including sharing our personal stories.
- You can also connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube, and Linkedin.
- If you’re interested in sponsoring or have suggestions for the show, you can send us an email at email@example.com.