The one stat you need to know
The spirit of leadership is often misjudged as a gainful way of exercising control, leading to chaos. In essence, it should be recognized as a model that gives more weight to “Giving Control” over “Taking Control”.
What this episode is about and why you should care
David Marquet, a former submarine captain and author of “Turn the Ship Around!” unlocks a new angle in redefining leadership. In this podcast, he goes into retrospect and relates his journey as the newly appointed captain of nuclear-powered submarine, “USS Santa Fe”. During his active days, he sought measures to counteract all odds to fight the low self-esteem of his crew. As a captain, David fought against his instincts and explored newer ways of unifying his workforce, breaking accepted norms of leadership. For a corporate environment, the Santa Fe episode presents a stunning example of effective leadership that acts as a harbinger towards making every employee a leader.
What you will learn in this episode
- “Ladder of leadership”– Re-defining decisions in an organizational framework
- What is driving companies to rethink on their management model?
- Why building decision making capacity in your organization is important?
- How clarity helps to build a unifying workforce? How to achieve “greatness” as a mechanism?
- Trust and Competence – How do you differentiate?
- How “Smart Hierarchy” will change the way companies operate?
- How leaders are going to change the work environment in the future?
Links from the episode