After months of a pandemic, stay-at-home orders, changed work schedules, and more, you’re likely feeling exhausted. And you’re not alone! Even without a pandemic, being an entrepreneur and balancing the many aspects of your life can be draining.
But it’s during these difficult times that we can see what we’re made of. These trials define who you are as a person and can be an opportunity to learn and grow.
My wife Blake made a video about this which you can see below. If you want more content like this then make sure to subscribe to the Be Your Own Boss Podcast Youtube Channel where Blake and I teach you how you can be your own boss.
It’s taken years of trial and error, but here are five things that have helped us turn exhaustion into positive energy. These tips have never been more relevant than they are today:
1.Figure out what drains you. Everyone gains and loses energy from different activities and situations. Some people are drained by being around other people for too long, while others are drained with too much time by themselves. You may be drained by a certain task, social situation, or environment. Know yourself and define what drains your energy so you know to avoid those situations as much as possible.
2. Figure out what gives you energy. On the flip side, everyone gets energy from different activities. Look at your life to figure out what activities or situations cause you to gain energy. It could be a specific task, activity, or social setting that gives you life.
3. Set boundaries. Without boundaries, your energy tank can be depleted from constantly feeling you have to participate in every event, respond to every email, and get involved in every issue. Learn to say no. Set healthy boundaries for yourself, both with your family and friends and also with your work. As an entrepreneur it can be tempting to want to work all the time, but you need to set boundaries so you have energy to do the tasks that are more rewarding and purposeful for you.
Blake and I made lots of mistakes during our entrepreneurial journey and learned things the hard way, but you don’t have to. Whether you are considering going off on your own or you already have, this will be a valuable resource for you. Download our PDF on the 7 things you need to master if you want to be a successful entrepreneur.
4. Follow a schedule. A routine can give you energy. Create a general schedule for your day and try to stick with it. A schedule creates more energy because you know what to expect and what you can depend on. Instead of wasting energy trying to find time to work or wondering what to do next, you can pour that energy into being productive and let the schedule guide your day.
5. Be real with yourself. Set realistic expectations for yourself. Don’t give yourself so much work and pressure, especially now in the middle of a pandemic. Know yourself and pay attention to your energy levels. Give yourself time to rest to recharge your energy and set yourself up for success.
It’s easy to feel exhausted. But instead of pushing through that exhaustion and only making it worse, follow these steps to create more positive energy and start living the life you love.
If you enjoyed the article and want more content like this here’s what you can do:
- Subscribe to The BYOB Podcast Newsletter to get notified when a new episode comes out (once a week).
- Subscribe to our Youtube channel where we talk about these things in much more detail including sharing our personal stories.
- You can also connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube, and Linkedin.
- If you’re interested in sponsoring or have suggestions for the show, you can send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.