What this episode is about and why you should care
This week’s episode is with Eric Severson on work-life integration. Eric is the former Co-Chief Human Resource Officer at The Gap, and is now an Appointee to the U.S. Department of Commerce National Advisory Council on Innovation and Entrepreneurship as well as the director of the Felton Institute. Eric led most of The Gap’s talent initiatives including their move towards work-life integration and the creation of their results-oriented workplace (ROW).
The debate around work-life balance versus work-life integration is a very hot topic. We explore Eric’s perspective on the “winning side,” which to him is work-life integration. And, I must confess that I completely agree with him. In this podcast Eric shares in-depth insights into his initiatives at The Gap to encourage work-life integration. We also talk about corporate culture, why work-life balance is no longer effective and why the shift to work-life integration is happening. Eric explains ROW whereby an organization is purely focused on what employees produce and not the hours they spend doing it. Eric also give us his insights and perspectives on Millennials and the different generations of employees, and the role technology management plays. And, Eric answers your questions posed to him on Facebook; and gives his advice to employees, managers and executives.
If you are interested in the work-life balance versus work-life integration debate, you won’t want to miss this podcast. Enjoy!
What you will learn in this episode
- Eric Severson’s role at The Gap and what he’s doing today
- Recap of Severson’s activities at The Gap and why the focus on work-life balance and work-life integration
- Severson’s insights, views and experience with Millennials and other generations and the impact on organizations and how we work
- Work-life balance and work-life integration – what’s the distinction
- How to drive work-life integration for employees in fixed hour environments, i.e., retail, manufacturing, etc.
- Severson’s perspective on work-life integration in today’s market
- What is results oriented workplace (ROW) and Severson’s insights into how The Gap made the transition
- The role of technology
- Who drives work-life integration initiatives in a company and what does a typical day looks like that has implemented work-life integration
- Severson’s advice to employees, managers and executives
- Last thoughts from Severson
Links from the episode
- Eric Severson on LinkedIn
- @ericseversonHR on Twitter
- Eric Severson, Appointee to the U.S. Department of Commerce National Advisory Council on Innovation and Entrepreneurship