One of the biggest challenges CEOs today say they are facing is lack of leadership talent to carry the organization forward. But it is not a lack of talent that is at the root of this problem.
My guest this week is Scott DeRue, the Edward J. Frey Dean of the Stephen M. Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan. Based on his award-winning research, this challenge CEOs are facing is caused by the fact that 40%-50% of capable leaders are not stepping up because of the risks involved in leadership roles.
Today Scott shares the research behind his article titled, Why Capable People Are Reluctant To Lead, as well as what we can do to change that.
In this episode of the podcast we explore:
- The three kinds of risks that deter people from leadership positions
- How we can overcome all three risks
- What separates great leaders from average ones
- The biggest mistakes Scott sees leaders making
- The most important thing for leadership development
“One thing that we can all do to maximize our own potential is lean into those risks–Whether it’s outcome risk, whether it’s image risk, whether it’s interpersonal risk– let’s not let that risk hold us back. But let’s lean into it. Let’s embrace that risk. And in doing so, by stepping up and assuming these leadership roles, we’re able to have a bigger impact in the world.”–Scott DeRue
If you want more content like this you can subscribe to my Youtube channel.
15 Top CEOs Share Their Best Leadership Lessons
Learn from the CEOs of Netflix, Honeywell, Volvo, Best Buy, The Home Depot, and others.
Get the PDF→
If you enjoyed the article and want more content like this here’s what you can do:
- Subscribe to The Future of Work Podcast where I interview business leaders around the world each week.
- Grab a copy of The Future Leader which has been endorsed by the CEOs of MasterCard, Best Buy, Oracle, Audi, Unilever, Domino’s Pizza, Ritz Carlton, Kaiser, and Marshall Goldsmith. It explores the most essential skills and mindsets for future leaders.
- If you are or want to be an entrepreneur then my wife and I just launched a brand new podcast on how to Be Your Own Boss, called the BYOB Podcast where we share what we did and how we did it. You can subscribe to that here.