Feeling stuck in a rut? Working hard but not getting much done?
It may be time to sound boundaries for yourself.
As an entrepreneur, it’s easy to get distracted and pulled in multiple directions. Without boundaries and rules, you can find yourself working all the time but still not feeling productive.
Here are some of the rules I set for myself to help me accomplish more:
1. Don’t check email or social media until 4 pm. I even turned off notifications on my phone so I don’t get distracted by things that don’t need an urgent response.
2. Don’t take meetings with people who just want to pick my brain. It’s a slippery slope—if I were to say yes to one person who just wants to chat, that could quickly snowball so my entire day is gone without me doing anything to build my business.
3. No TV in the bedroom and no technology during mealtimes. I preserve time with family and time when I’m eating to unplug and take a break.
4. Try to be healthy. I try to eat healthily and make time for exercise. It takes time and effort, but I feel better and am more productive when I feel good.
5. Don’t take calls or meetings before 9 am or after 5 pm. I block out time in the morning to get my kids ready for school and time in the evening to spend time as a family. Without hard start and stop times, my meetings could easily spread into all hours of the day.
6. Always make time for family. It’s hard not to feel like I always need to be working, but I prioritize family time outside work hours.
7. No meetings or calls Mondays, Wednesdays, or Fridays. Instead of getting bogged down by meetings, I use these days to focus on what I need to get done without distractions. Without meetings, these are extremely productive days.
As we go into the new year, take time to create your own rules. Establishing boundaries provides structure that will shape how you spend your time and what you do.
I put together a video which talks about this in more detail. Please check it out below and if you want more content like this you can subscribe to my Youtube channel.
. . .
There are 6 trends that are transforming leadership forever do you know what they are and are you ready for them? Download the PDF to learn what these 6 trends are and what you should be doing about each one of them. These are crucial for your leadership and career development in the future of work!