Today’s guest is Jeffrey Puritt, President and CEO of TELUS International, a global customer experience outsourcing company with over 31,000 team members across 10 countries. In our conversation you will hear all about what it’s like to work at TELUS international, how they give back to the local communities, how Jeffrey deals with tough choices, his view on the future of leadership, and much more.
Jeffrey Puritt serves as the President and CEO of TELUS International, Inc. Puritt has international experience in communications and technology sectors including mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, strategic planning, corporate reorganizations and asset and contract management. He joined TELUS Communications Inc. in 2001 and served various positions including Vice President of Mergers & Acquisitions at TELUS. He obtained a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science from York University in 1984 and a Bachelor of Laws degree from Osgoode Hall Law School in 1987.
TELUS International is a subsidiary of TELUS, a national telecommunications company in Canada. TELUS International provides multilingual customer service outsourcing and digital IT services to global clients. Clients include corporations in travel and hospitality, financial services and fintech, consumer electronics and gaming, telecommunications, and healthcare industries. TELUS International is found in 10 countries with over 30,000 employees.
When it comes to trends in the future of leadership in the next 5-10 years Puritt says competition for talent is more fierce than the competition for customers and so leaders need to figure out how to be an employer of choice, a destination of choice for talent.
Puritt isn’t overly concerned about AI. He says, “I don’t see it as a concern. Perhaps 30% of our business interactions are basic exchanges between customers and business. These types of interactions can be done better by bots or some other automation. For example, reset passwords. The other 70% are not ripe for automation. They are more complex and will need human support.”
He believes that the growing complexity of our world will require increasing support that can interact with technology and yet also interact with humans.
What skills will leaders need in the future?
● You will not attract talent if your style is command and control.
● Training needs to reflect the desires of Millennials in order to retain them.
●Leaders will need to be more aware and mindful of people’s feelings and background and their perspectives
● They will also need to recognize on all the new trends around technology. These will transform our world.
What You Will Learn In This Episode:
● Why perks are critical to acquiring talent
● What it’s like to work at TELUS International
● How Jeffrey makes tough choices
● Perspectives on building culture in sites around the world
● Jeffrey’s views on the future of leadership
● Creative recruiting practices at universities
Link from the episode: